Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gabe's Six Month Anniversary

I can't believe it is September 26th already. Six months ago today was the day we took Gabe in to have his bi-frontal craniotomy and endoscopic nasal surgery so the surgeons could patch the hole in the bone between his brain cavity and nasal cavity.

Here are some pre-op pictures:


It was definitely one of the worst times in our lives. We were so worried about him and Dave and I were taking turns running back and forth from the hospital just trying to get a couple of hours of sleep. We barely saw Madison for 5 days straight. We weren't sure if we wanted her to see Gabe in the condition he was in after the surgery. Both of his eyes were swollen shut and he had a pretty big bandage on his head. He was so drugged up he barely moved at all.

He went in for the surgery on a Monday and the Thursday after Madison came to the hospital and wanted to see her brother. She was able to come back and see him. She talked to him and touched his legs. I could tell he knew she was there, but he still barely moved. Later that night we were moved to a private room in the PICU and he started sitting up and watching Disney Pixar's "Cars" with one eye barely open (they were still pretty swollen). I totally believe that Madison helped him come through. Friday morning he wouldn't stay in his crib and wanted to be wheeled around the hospital in a push cart. We were discharged Friday afternoon because he was doing so well.

Here are some pictures of him at Easter (April 7th - 12 days after his surgery):

I feel so lucky that we ended up at UofM. I had been going to the doctor's office for his runny nose for so long. I finally got a doctor who suggested a hearing test. I ended up just going to our insurance book and picking someone at random. The hearing test lady recommended our Ear, Nose and Throat doctor and then he recommended our Neuro Surgeon and the two of them performed the surgery together.

We went for his final checkup in July and both the ENT and Neuro Surgeon said he shouldn't have to come back again. He is free and clear!!! YEAH!!!

Here are some pictures of my healthy baby (he's still my baby) boy:

He has a little scar on his back from the lumbar drain and if you pull his hair back you can sort of see a scar, but not really. He'll just never be able to "bic" his head. Even the little bald spot caused by stress has grown back in.

I have had people tell me how calm and upbeat I seemed while all this was going on. I really just had no choice. Gabe's condition was awful, but he was always miles ahead of the other kids that were in the PICU. Gabe was able to be fixed where some of the other kids were biding their time. Don't get me wrong - we definitely had our moments, but we're through it now. I still think about the people we spent a week of our lives with held up in the PICU at UofM Hospital. Sometimes I wonder if they are still there - still going through hell. I pray for them often.

If you've read this far, thanks. I know this is a long post, but today is a very special day for my family and I.

1 comment:

Laura said...

My favorite is always him diving face first into the nest of baby dinosaurs.

Like the new template!