Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Godspeed, Sweet Dreams

Since I first became pregnant with Maddie, before I knew she was a girl (because I was totally sure she was a boy, whether I told anyone so or not), I would sing "Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)" by The Dixie Chicks to her. The doctor told me the baby can hear everything you hear, so I figured she could hear me and it would soothe her. When I found out she was a girl I changed the song to "Godspeed little girl, sweet dreams little girl" instead of "Godspeed little man, sweet dreams little man".

This song has become very important to me because me singing this song was all that would calm Gabe down during his recovery from his brain surgery. It was very embarrassing. At first, I would sing it to him when it was just us in his little area and no one else was around. I sang it over and over and over again. It was basically all I could do so that he knew I was there. Then doctors would come in and do tests and he would just scream. It finally got to a point where I was holding Gabe down singing this song as loud as I could while the doctors messed around with his lumbar drain or poked him with another needle. I knew the other nurses and parents of other kids were looking at me, but I didn't care. As long as I sang to him he would calm down pretty quickly afterwards.

Recently, Madison has been asking me to sing her this lullaby before she goes to bed at night or when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Tonight I put her to bed and kissed her goodnight and then walked out of the room so she could drift peacefully to sleep. Fifteen minutes later she was anything but peaceful. I went in her room and she was in her bed playing with a doll. I told her it was bedtime and she asked me to sing her our lullaby. I laid down next to her and she cuddled up to me and closed her eyes, and I sang her our lullaby. When I was done I told her goodnight and gave her a kiss and started to walk out. She begged me to sleep with her, but I told her I wasn't ready for bed yet. She said, "I'm going to sing our lullaby to myself now and then I'm going to go to sleep." I said that was fine and walked out, but I stood outside her door and listened. This is what I heard:

Dragon tales and the "water is wide"
Pirates sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you

Godspeed, little girl
Sweet dreams, little girl
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet Dreams

The Rocket Racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you

Godspeed, little girl
Sweet dreams, little girl
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet Dreams

God bless Mommy and matchbox cars
God bless Dad and thanks for the stars
God hears "Amen," wherever we are
And I love you.

Godspeed, little girl
Sweet dreams, little girl
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet Dreams

Godspeed
Sweet Dreams


She knew every word. I think it was the best thing I've ever heard in my entire life!

No comments: