Monday, November 12, 2007

Smoothies, Yum!

So, Gabe has been doing much better on the eating front. We started making smoothies to go with breakfast and lunch and he LOVES them! Here's our recipe:

one banana, peeled
handful of frozen blueberries
handful of frozen strawberries
handful of baby spinach leaves
one bottle of blueberry yogurt smoothie
some milk

It's not very precise, but easy enough, and oh so good!

The OT we talked to on Thursday told me to substitute his favorites (chicken nuggets, waffles, etc.) out for similar items. We substituted the eggo waffles for meijer brand waffles and he did fine (I don't think he realized they were different) and we substituted the chicken nuggets with Morning Star Farms veggie chicken nuggets (again, no difference, really) and he did fine with those also. The OT is coming over tomorrow to talk about it more, so I'll know what the next step is then.

Dave and I were talking about it last night and he mentioned that Gabe lost his left olfactory nerve during his brain surgery. I don't know why I forget about this. The whole surgery ordeal seems like it was just a bad dream and sometimes it's like it never even happened. This could be a huge factor in all of this eating business. What's the enjoyment of eating if you can barely taste anything? I guess I'll have to talk to the OT about it.

No comments: