Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Halloween Traditions

Looking back on my childhood I remember Halloween being so much fun. We'd pick pumpkins out at the store and bring them home. My dad would cover the kitchen table with newspapers and cut the tops open. Then my sister and I would scoop all the guts out with our hands. We would go through and save all the seeds so my mom could bake them and we could eat them. When the "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" Halloween special was on TV we would all sit and watch it.

My memories are all warm and fuzzy. In one word: Happy. I want this for my kids.

Friday, on the way home from The Fall Harvest Festival at Maddie's school, we stopped and picked up a pumpkin. We came home and carved it. Maddie picked the design. We baked the seeds and ate a few. We put the pumpkin on the front porch, lit it up, and then stood in the pitch black darkness and stared at it. Maddie thought it was cool. Gabe was already in bed.


On Sunday night we watched "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". I wasn't sure how they would like it, but they watched the whole thing. Madison liked it so much that every time the theme song came on she would move her eyebrows up and down to the rhythm. It was so funny.

All in all, I think they got the effect I was going for. Mission complete.

No comments: