Thursday, October 4, 2007

Peanut Free

I feel like such a jerk! It was Maddie's turn to take snack into class today so we spent yesterday going to Costco to get the prepackaged sliced apples and then went to Kroger to get the individual caramel dip cups so they could have a little fun.

Since I go a little overboard sometimes I decided that some kids may not like apples and that they should have options so I also bought some pretzels. Maddie's school is peanut free and I made sure the dip didn't contain any peanuts, but in my hasty decision to also take pretzels I forgot to check the package. I figured that pretzels are pretzels are pretzels and pretzels don't contain peanuts (except the ones that have peanut butter in them and are totally awesome - but I knew these didn't have peanut butter in them).

While the pretzels I bought do not contain peanuts I guess the company processes peanut butter products on the same line as they make the pretzels. Why didn't I think about this? Peanut allergies are SOOO serious. I had to go dairy free while breastfeeding Gabe and was very diligent about making sure I stuck to it, so what was going through my head when I decided the kids HAD to have options.

Of course, the mother of the peanut allergy kid (Maddie's FAVORITE new friend) caught it and made sure her kid didn't have any (Thank God) and was very nice when she told me about the mistake. She then proceeded to ask us to a play date. At least we weren't shunned, but I still feel like a total jerk! I'm glad nobody was hurt.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oy. You shouldn't feel too bad, though. I've given up on trying to nail down packaging that doesn't contain that disclaimer about nuts and peanuts. I suspect it's mostly about covering all legal liability bases, given the "may contain" phrasing. Anyway, I've never had problems.

But I can see how those people who burst into hives being in the same room with peanut oil need all risk identified. And an adult choosing for him or herself--different than kids, of course.